Aerino Velestino and at an altitude of about 180m. It was identified as a community in 1950 and since 1988 it is a district of the municipality of Feres with a population of 512 inhabitants. During Turkish domination, the land was owned, manor of a Turkish dignitary. Aerino's previous name was "Persofli", which means land of the Persians. By D. 19/7/1928 "Rename the communities and settlements", the village was renamed Aerino by the committee of name. The committee of name renamed the village to Aerino because strong wind was blowing the day they visited it. The village was razed by the earthquakes of 1957; it was rebuilt by scratch and today is a modern village, with a church of Thomas the apostle. The population of Aerino was formed by the few families of the manor kolligons, by the families which came from the surrounding places and by refugees from Asia Minor, who fled here after the disaster of 1922.
During Turkish domination, Agios Dimitrios, was attached administratively at the Katilikio of Velestino and was called Ouslar. An initial report containing information on the historical continuity of the village is given by Dorotheus Scholarius metropolitan of Demetria (1856-1871), who informs us that it is a privately-owned village, is inhabited by 12 families, 60 residents and no church. By the annexation of Thessaly in Greece (1881), Agios Dimitrios found to be manor of Marg. Apostolidi. A decade later, Zosimas Esphigmenitis in "Prometheus" of 1892 reports that it is a privately-owned village, inhabited by 200 residents and has a church called Agios Dimitrios. In the early of 20th century, the village was named "Agios Dimitrios" by its patron saint and today it is classified in the Municipality of Feres.
Former St George community, its population is about 1.000 inhabitants. Agios Georgios is located about 4 Km east of Velestino. The residents are occupied in agriculture, livestock and a large number of people are employed in the public and the wider private sector of enterprises. In the area is placed the Second Industrial Area and the military tank factory 304.
Chloi was created by the join of two smaller settlements (Agios Gedeon "Darbegli" or Agia Paraskevi and Agios Athanasios "Koniari" or "Kougougeri") and constitutes a settlement of Velestino. It is an agricultural settlement with a population of about 500 residents. It is located 2 Km northwest of Velestino.
Kanalia is located 25km of Volos, 5km about from the Municipal District of Kerasia and 15km about from the Municipal District of Stefanovikeio is built at the foothills of Mavrovouni and in front of it lays the lake Karla, the Municipal District of Kanalia is inhabited by 1927 registered residents.
Waiting patiently for the return of Lake Karla (Voiviida), it is built amphitheater at the foothills of Mavrovouni, it is currently facing its empty shores, until the reconstitution projects complete.
44 km away from the city of Volos, in the north-eastern end of Magnesia, between Pelion and Mavrovounio and very close to the sea, is located one of the least known but equally enchanting villages of Pelion, the wonderful Keramidi. Keramidi is a very scenic village, with the Aegean stretching in front of it, Halkidiki standing out in the horizon, and its unique combination of mountain (300m altitude) and sea (5 km away).
You will meet the smallest village in the Municipality of Karla, Kerasia, by moving south-east of the Municipality. It is built on the foothills of the northwest Pelion- next to river, seems as if it is hidden. There is a big square in the center of the village (there are organized great feasts and balls on 29-30 of June). The community shop of the Municipal and a large tavern offer their services every day.
As you walk through the cobbled road, you meet the arched bridge which leads at the church of Agios Nikolaos (patron saint of the village). The made of stone arch bridge connects the two parts of the village on the banks of river Kerasioti. It is consisted by two unequal, well-made gray-green schists, reinforced with metal connector arcs. The layer of the road has steep slopes and is paved width of about 3m. It was built in 1886 and declared as a protected monument in 1988. The bridge was repaired in 1993.
It is located on the top of a small prominent hill between the villages Aerino and Agios Dimitrios. With the annexation of Thessaly (1881) to Greece, it became manor of Marg. Apostolidi. The village until recently was called Paliouri, but renamed to Kokkaleika because there was another settlement in the Municipality with the same name.
The earliest reference about the history of the village was that during Turkish domination, Kokkina belonged in Velestino's Katalikio. In 1860, the metropolitan Dorotheus Dimitriados Scholiaros reports that Kokkina had 10 families, 60 residents and a church of Agios Georgios. After 1881, Kokkina became manor of Marg. Apostolidi, who had also built in Kokkina a two storey mansion, in which he used to host Greek and foreign dignitaries. Nowadays, Kokkina belongs to the Municipality of Feres and its residents are engaged in agricultural activities by exploiting modern, efficient and dynamic cultures.
The residents are pure "vlachoi" Perivoliotes at the origin. They permanently inhabited in the area between1870-1880. Originally the village was called Tahtalasi (Sanidochori), which stemmed of the former Municipality of Feres. Later, it renamed to Mikro Perivolaki community until 1998. The previous residents were "Karagounides" (a social unity of the Greek people with special and distinct social and cultural traits and habits). The entire land area had been bought by "Karagounides" for fodder. The population was moving from Pindos to Thessaly because of their occupation. The moving was held for their winter pastures and after 1870 they bought the land of Mikro Perivolaki for fodder.
Perivlepto is located in a prominent position in the plain of Velestino, on the foothills of the mount "Kinos Kefalai". During Turkish domination, the village was called Seratzi which means farmers' village and belonged administratively at the district of Velestino. It is even mentioned in the sources that it used to be manor of Ali Pasa (1750-1822). The first written reference about the village is given by Dorotheos Scholiaros, Metropolitan of Dimitriada, who reports that Seratzi was inhabited by 16 families in 1860, 80 residents and also had a church of Agios Athanasios. Finally, about the church, we know by the inscription presented in the infrared of the main entrance, that it was built in 1860 and by one of the "remembrance" found in the sacred books of the church, that it was inaugurated on 26 of May 1868 Day of the Saints.
Polozeika is a settlement of Aerino and is located a kilometer south of the village. It used to be a livestock settlement but is not currently occupied; there are just farmhouses for the accommodation of landowners during growing seasons.
Rizomilos is located 20km away from Volos (capital of the prefecture) and 43km away from Larisa. Most of the residents are refugees of Eastern Rumelia and they had arrived to the village for the first time in 1907.As the refugees arriving, they also brought their manners and costums which they still hold actively, despite the passage of time. In 1999, Rizomilos joined Stefanovikeio, Kanali and Kerasia and the Municipality of Karla was created within the plan Kapodistrias. Rizomilos was characterized "martyred" village for the great contribution in National Resistance (1941-1944) against Germans and Italians invaders.
Stefanovikio is located close to the limits of the prefectures Magnesia and Larisa. Stefanovikio is 25Km away from Volos and 37Km away from Larisa; it is built on the National Road Volos-Larisa.
Veneto is located south of Keramidi and is now accessible through asphalt road (13 kl), signaled intersection, halfway Kanalia- Keramidi.
"VENETO" A real Smurf's village , hidden in Magnesia
Veneto is located southeast of Keramidi and north of Zagora, hidden in a dense and accordingly mixed forest of oak, chestnut, walnut, sycamore trees and species of Mediterranean maquis, while overlooks the Aegean by the height of 300m.
Built in shady slope, Veneto offers dew in summer, but in winter the shadows make cold sensible. Most of the houses are new built, because the residents, who had remained after the Civil War, were persecuted by the landslides in 1957. The result of the landslides was to remain the village uninhabited for nearly 30 years. The old Venetians have slowly returned. They renovate the old houses or they built new, cottages for summer period.
The Church of Ypapanti of Christ stands at the entrance of the village, built in 1967. The church retains its stone masonry and the roof is covered with slate, feature of Pelion architecture. The Church of Ypapanti of Christ keeps one of the most elaborately carved temples of Pelion.
Furthermore, is worth seeing the scenic beach of Koulouri, which along are the marvelous caves, Ipnoi of the ancients, where Xerxes' fleet had shipwrecked in 480 B.C., while it formed the base of the rebel navy during German occupation. Petromelisso is the glamorous beach of the village, crossing the village and passing by the church of St. Nicholas and the area of Metohi you will find the beach. The beach is characterized by its white pebble, the rocky nature and the dense vegetation surrounding the bay, as well as the clear crystal waters.
The village doesn't present the tight urban cohesion, which we encounter in the nearby Keramidi and it spreads the neighborhoods in the forest to a relatively large area. You will walk on scenic cobbled roads, "get lost" in trackless forests and meet simple people who are not affected yet by the massive tourism. And all these, without the clutter and the hassle which are observed in other villages of Pelion.
Paths mainly follow the old paved cobbled roads, which used to be the only way of communication between the villages and the outside world, are now cleaned and are proposed for pedestrian experiences. There are grills and taverns around the square, filled with regulars, locals and foreigners, as the Summer is ahead.
Monastery of Flamouri is also worth mentioning, you can reach the Monastery from Veneto, by following for about 2 hours the scarred but sharply rising path.
The Holy Monastery of Transfiguration of the Saviour is located in a magnificent and remote location close to the village of Veneto in the northern West Pelion, in a green forest full of beech, oak, pine and dogwood trees. It was founded in the 16th century, after 1564, by Blessed Simeon Monochitona and Anypodyto who had arrived in the region coming from Agion Oros and built the monastery in which have gathered crowd of friars. The monastery continuous to operate according to the standards of Agion Oros, as is not allowed in women.
Continuing, the road leads to the "arsana" of the Monastery where the remains from the chapel of St. Nicholas remind times when Flamouri had supernumerary fraternity and by where the refueling needs were covered. Nowadays, we find few remaining friars who try to renovate the monastery by using the help of the local builders.
So, Veneto can both be a summer and a winter destination, while there are many activities to do, as this virgin place, is ideal for hiking, climbing, hunting, snorkeling and many more to discover.
It is worth to make a brief reference to the clubs, that occasionally ran vital issues concerning the village, as has always been part of Keramidi and it didn't have its own representation. A personal "Thank you", to the mayor Mrs. Helen Laitsou, which by projecting our village through the site of the municipality, gives the opportunity to promote its natural beauty and features.
The early history of Eleftherochori associates to the adjacent Turkish-albanian dervishes' "Tekke". It was their manor, which is testified by the church of Agios Georgios who the dervishes of Hatzi- Bektas especially worshipped. During Turkish domination, Eleftherochori was called Ardouan which means "pilgrims' village" and so enhances the historical view for close dependence with the retreat of Boumbas. Within the historical truth, Zosimas Esphigmenitis in "Prometheus" of 1892 reports that Eleftherochori is inhabited by 14 residents, is dominated by the adjacent Tekke and the residents are not happy with the administration. After the Turkish domination, Eleftherochori became manor of Margariti Apostolidi and today it is classified in the Municipality of Feres.